After arrival

NOTE! As of 1 January 2017 the Finnish Immigration Service (MIGRI) will be responsible for accepting applications for residence permits as well as other permits for foreign nationals (including EU-citizens residence registration). Until the end of 2016 applications were submitted to the local police department but from the beginning of 2017 MIGRI will handle all the applications. Read more information from MIGRI's webpages

Registering the residence, EU/EEA citizens

EU-citizens and citizens of Liechtenstein and Switzerland do not need the residence permit for Finland but they must apply for a right to reside in Finland, if the studies last for more than three months. EU-citizen's registration is done at the MIGRI's service point in Helsinki (street address: Käenkuja 3 A3). It is advisable to book an appointment well beforehand!

Note! You have a possibility to request for Finnish personal id-code in the same time when registering the residence as EU-citizen. It is advisable to request for this id-code since it makes many things easier (e.g. opening a bank account, usage of diginal student card is dependant on Finnish id-code etc.) easier in Finland. If you will get the id-code, please remember to inform also Aalto University Student Services about it.

Documents required for registering the residence

  • Application form (online form available at service or printable form available at the MIGRI website)
  • Certificate of student status (from the university)
  • Passport/ID-card
  • European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
  • Proof of sufficient funds (e.g. proof of scholarship, bank statements)
  • Fee: €54

It is strongly recommend to submit the application electronically via service. However, a personal visit at Migri service desk with original documents is still required. Make sure to book an appointment to MIGRI well in advance because waiting times are really long.

  • You can use a credit card or Finnish online banking services to pay the application online. You may also pay the application fee when you visit Migri.
  • Note! If for some reason you cannot use EnterFinland-service, you can fill in the printable application form and return it with all required enclosres directly to MIGRI.

Registering the residence, citizens of Nordic countries

Citizens of the Nordic countries (Denmark, including the Faroe Islands and Greenland, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden) are registered at a Register Office (Maistraatti) if their stay in Finland lasts longer than 6 months. Therefore, if you plan to stay in Finland for longer than 6 months and you are moving from one Nordic country to another, you must inform  Maistraatti / Magistrate and visit the office to prove your identity. Your details are then transferred electronically from the country of origin to the destination country. If you stay in Finland less than 6 months you can still register at Maistraatti but the move to Finland is considered as temporary by its nature. Please read more information from the webpages of Finnish Maistraatti.

Extension of the residence permit (non EU-students)

Residence permits for studies are usually granted for one year at the time. Remember to apply for extension for your residence permit before your first permit expires. You must submit an application for extension to MIGRI in Finland. Note that extensions can only be applied in Finland, not from abroad. If you are forced to apply for your next residence permit abroad instead of Finland, you will need to apply for a new permit again (not extension).  

Application for the residence permit extension can be made electronically via service. However, you will still need to visit at the MIGRI Service point with original documents and to pick up a new residence permit card.

  • Note! If for some reason you cannot use online service you can find a printable application form from the website of Finnish Immigration Service (MIGRI) and submit all the documents directly to MIGRI.
  • You can use a credit card or Finnish online banking services to pay the application online. You may also pay the application fee when you visit Migri.

Please note that processing times for extension vary quite a lot in different cities, also within Helsinki metropolitan area. Therefore, it is recommended to apply for extension well in advance before your current permit expires (not more than three months before).  However, make sure to book an appointment to MIGRI well in advance because waiting times are really long.  

In order to get the residence permit renewed, you must prove that you are still registered at the university, that ou have still some valid study time left and you have proceeded in your studies (i.e. earned credits). The valid health insurance is also required! You need the following enclosures (MIGRI may also ask for other documents if necessary):

  • Application form (you can use an online application at service or find a printable form from MIGRI's website > studying)
  • Passport and current residence permit card
  • Certificate of student status (from University Student Services prefarably after you have enrolled for an upcoming academic year)
  • Transcript of records (studies must have proceeded)
  • Proof of deposit of €6,720 on your bank account (+ bank statements from the last 3 months)
  • Proof of sufficient funds for a tuition fee (if applicable) or a proof of a tuition fee waiwer
  • One passport sized photograph (no older than 6 months)
  • Proof of valid health insurance
  • Fee: €168

Contacts and more information

Note that as of 1 January 2017 Finnish Immigration Service (MIGRI) will handle all the applications of foreign nationals. You should submit the application for extension to MIGRI's service point in Helsinki (street address Käenkuja 3 A3). Read more here.

MIGRI Service points

Migri contact information

Book an appointment at MIGRI

Information on extension of the residence permit ( service)