Health Care

In Finland,  there is a health care system meant for students provided by the Finnish Student Health Services and students can also turn to municipal or private health care. The right to use different health services depends on the student’s status (degree student or exchange/ free mover/guest student), country of origin (EU/EEA citizen or non-EU/EEA citizen) and the membership of the student union. Read carefully the guidelines below.

Finnish Student Health Services

The Finnish Student Health Services (FSHS or YTHS in Finnish, provides basic health care services for university students and students in other university level institutions in Finland. The services offered by the FSHS include general health care, medical care and mental health care as well as dental and oral health care. The FSHS does not provide hospital care, maternity care, child or family care, or night and weekend duty services.

The right to use the services

Bachelor’s and Master’s level degree-seeking students have a compulsory membership in the student union. They are entitled to all FSHS services after paying the student union membership fee. The same applies to exchange, free mover and guest students: if they join the student union and pay the membership fee, they are entitled to all FSHS services. Postgraduate (doctoral level) students are not entitled to FSHS services, even if they are members of the student union.

When coming for an appointment at FSHS, you have to present a valid student card or an official student certificate that you can collect from Learning Services.

Services: free of charge and chargeable

FSHS is open weekdays during the day (depending on the centre) from 8 AM to 3 PM on Mon-Thu and from 8 AM to 2 PM on Fri. FSHS is closed during weekends and public holidays. To get an appointment, you should call the closest FSHS office to you. To get the phone numbers and information about fees, please visit their website:

When the FSHS health centre is closed, in case of sudden illness requiring urgent treatment, please contact the health centre of your municipality of residence or call the public health consultation +358 9 310 10023 (Helsinki) or +358 9 87 10023 (Espoo). Most of FSHS services are for free but some appointments cost between €10.00–40.00. When coming for an appointment, you need to provide a student card or other evidence of the payment of the student union fee.

Missed appointments

For an appointment missed without cancellation, FSHS charges a fee of €35.00.

Duration of entitlement to the services

Even after graduation, students are entitled to the FSHS services as long as they are members of the student union, i.e. as long as the student card label indicates; either until the end of the term or until the end of the academic year (for example, 2016-2017 until the end of July 2017).

FSHS Helsinki-Espoo Health Centres

The FSHS has health centres in 20 cities. Otaniemi campus has its own FSHS health centre, and nearest to students in Arabia and in the School of Business is the Töölö health centre (also a service point in Viikki, open only on Wednesdays). Students can use the services of any FSHS health centres. However, please note that only members of the student union are entitled to the FSHS services.

Otaniemi, Otakaari 12, 02150 Espoo
Open Mon–Thu 8:00 – 15:00 and Fri 8:00 –14:00

Töölö, Töölönkatu 37 A, 00260 Helsinki
Open Mon–Thu 8:00 – 15:00 and Fri 8:00 –14:00

Viikki, Viikinkaari 11 (1st floor, room 110 C), 00790 Helsinki
Open Wednesdays 8:00 – 15:00

Health care for exchange/free mover/guest students

Exchange/free mover/guest students who are not members of the student union cannot use the Finnish Student Health Services. However, if they decide to join the student union, they can also use the services of FSHS.

EU/EEA citizens

The citizens of the European Union’s 28 member states plus the citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland get access to the public sector health care services (municipal health centres) during temporary visits abroad with the European Health Insurance card. Please remember to obtain a card from your home country. It will save you time, hassle and money if you fall ill or suffer an injury while abroad. For more information on the services available:

 in Helsinki:

 in Espoo:

Non-EU/EEA citizens

Exchange/free mover/guest students from non-EU/EEA countries can turn to private health services, e.g.:

Diacor (
Mehiläinen (
Terveystalo (

Private physicians charge approximately €100 per visit. In addition, you need to pay a fee for all examinations, such as laboratory tests or x-rays and administrative fees. Your compulsory health insurance may cover some of the expenses.

Municipal health care

The degree seeking students who have been granted permanent home municipality when registering at the local register office (Maistraatti) are entitled to use the services of municipal health centres (MHC) the same way as the local residents. Also exchange students from EU/EEA countries and Switzerland have the right to use the municipal health care (but not exchange students from non-EU/EEA countries). Students from EU/EEA countries and Switzerland should present their European Health Insurance Card (which can be obtained from their home country) to prove that they are entitled to municipal health care services while staying in Finland. See more about costs in the following link:Fees in municipal health care

All MHCs are open at least from Monday to Friday at 8–16. If you need to use the services of a MHC, you should go to your local health centre. All residents in any municipality or city belong to one of the service areas on the basis of their home address. Call (09) 310 10023 (24h) in Helsinki or (09) 87 10023 (24h) in Espoo to find out your nearest health care centre and hospital or see the webpage of the city of Helsinki or Espoo. You can also call +358 9 310 10023 (Helsinki) or +358 9 87 10023 (Espoo) if you want to talk to a nurse to see if your illness is bad enough to go to the hospital.

In Helsinki:

In Espoo:

Where to go if FSHS and municipal health centres are closed (e.g. in case of emergency)?

  • Telephone health advice (24 h)
  • Helsinki +358 9  310 10023
  • Espoo +358 9 87 10023

Please note that you need to have the European health insurance card (EU/EEA citizens) or private health insurance to cover the expenses!

Call +358 9 310 10023 in Helsinki (24h) or +358 87 10023 in Espoo (24h) to find out your nearest health care centre or hospital or:



  • Inhabitants of the East, South-eastern, North-eastern and Northern Helsinki
    • -> Malmi Hospital and Emergency Room, Talvelantie 6, J-Wing, 00700 Helsinki
    • Mon – Fri 16–8 & Sat – Sun 24 h, tel. (09) 310 67204
  • Inhabitants of the Southern, Central and Western Helsinki
    • -> Haartman Hospital and Emergency Room, Haartmaninkatu 4, Building 12,
    • Mon – Fri 16–8 & Sat – Sun 24 h, tel. (09) 310 63231 or (09) 310 5018


  • Peijas Hospital, Sairaalakatu 1, 01400 Vantaa, tel. 09 471 67137

Note that you should mainly seek in to the emergency hospital in your home town, but all residents from Helsinki/Espoo/Vantaa/ Kauniainen with acute need for medical attention can also seek emergency care from any emergency hospital in the area.

General emergency number 112

  • If there is life threatening danger, dial 112
  • First tell the operator what has happened, to whom and where
  • Answer any questions
  • Follow the instructions given
  • Do not hang up until told to do so
  • Hospitals take care of everyone who needs immediate hospitalisation.

Pharmacies near campuses


There is a pharmacy in the Otaniemi shopping centre (open Mon-Thu 10.00-18.00, Fri 10.00-17.00), also two pharmacies in Tapiola (near Otaniemi).


In Arabia, the nearest pharmacy is in the Arabia shopping centre (Hämeentie 111). In Töölö,  the nearest pharmacy is in Runeberginkatu 32 or in the Kamppi shopping centre.

In addition, many pharmacies can be found throughout Helsinki, Espoo and Vantaa. The Yliopiston Apteekki pharmacy at Mannerheimintie 96, Helsinki, is open 24 hours a day.

Health insurance

Aalto students have access to a simple, fast, affordable, and most importantly, pre-approved by the Finnish Immigration Service, health insurance package that will cover your needs while in Finland (as set out by law). Please see, more about this health insurance.

KELA benefits – Residence based social security

KELA, the Social Insurance Institution of Finland, is the provider of social security benefits in Finland. To be eligible for social security benefits, you must be living in Finland permanently. This is the general rule to which there are some exceptions; see the webpage of KELA for more details:

Please note that students, who come to Finland only to study, are usually considered being here only temporarily and, generally, are thus not covered by the Finnish social security system. To find out your status, you need to first contact the local register office (Maistraatti). Also, having permanent home municipality in Finland does not mean that you are entitled to all residence-based social security benefits if your residence permit is only temporary and you have come to Finland to study. Usually in this kind of situation, a student is entitled to the services offered by municipal health centres but not to other social security benefits.  

University Psychology Services

The Psychology Service at Aalto University offers counselling and support for learning, motivation, self-regulation, study skills and coping with stress and career choice. The service is available in English on  Aalto campuses. Meetings with a registered psychologist are available free of charge for Bachelor’s and Master’s degree  students of the university. Doctoral students should primarily contact their occupational healthcare service, when available. You can also reach the psychologists at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. If you are booking an appointment, please see the instructions.